Monday, November 29, 2010

Bittersweet thankfulness

Going home for Thanksgiving was bittersweet this year.
I can't say that I ever thought that I took the "smaller" things like family, health and sameness for granted. But I suppose now, I did.
This year has been weird for us in a lot of ways. 
And this Thanksgiving I think we had a different perspective on those said "smaller" things. 

They aren't small at all.

They are huge.

You never know how awesome consistency is until it isn't there. 
We indeed have so much to be thankful for.
And we are all praying that next year at this time that things are so amazingly different (normal) that we won't know what to do! 

Lisa, my husband's mom is still in the rehab.Which is great in and of itself that her progress has prompted her therapist to still be working with her for an extended time!
And though we are sad that she isn't the same...yet and that she wasn't there at the house making sure things were just right and planned out, funny, awkward, busy and celebratory we are indeed very thankful that she still is alive and making daily progress. 

I guess it really is all in how you look at things. 
It's what you make of it.
I couldn't get any more trite if I tried.
Trite is usually true though.
And we are trying to make the best of it and look at things in the best light possible. 
Sometimes it's just not that easy though. We are reminded by friends and other family of what God continues to do in her life and are encouraged when we see her doing something new everyday.

Anyway.
Things aren't the same.
Hopefully soon they will be more normal-ish.

I helped John's little sister redo her room while we were up there. 
That was an experience!
I was very glad to see the finish line to that project. It looks great and she was so excited to get a makeover.




We put up the family tree and decorated the house a bit too to help get everyone in the holiday spirit.


I caught this sweet moment of my husband and his mom while she took a small nap after lunch.
This makes me thankful.


1 comment:

  1. The lasat picture brought tears to my eyes

    ReplyDelete