Thursday, January 12, 2012

Being unreachable

I think sometimes I could be a pioneer woman. Not the fabulous cook and rancherita but like a for real Laura Ingalls type person. Minus I really like air conditioning and heat.  Most other modern conveniences I think I could do without. 
I think..

You know your life is ruled by technology when :

~ People just start in on conversations with you based off their facebook status's, whether you read them or not. Or the phrase "did you see on facebook..."  Then when you are clueless about what they are talking about it's like unheard of .. hmmm. I'm a fan of face to face information giving. 

~  people can't put their cell phones away during serious times. Face to face talks, church, car rides with kids present, funerals... I know it's hard enough at the dinner table for some.  I've started turning mine off at mealtimes or leaving it at home when we go somewhere as a family. I don't carry it on my person at all times and I'm even getting to the point where I forget where I put it! 
I guess it won't kill me to be unreachable for a minute, hour, day or two.  It sure didn't kill my mom and Laura Ingalls was an awesome teacher and author. Oh, the things I could possibly do without my technology present at all times..

So, I am not bashing technology. That would be stupid of me.  I'm pretty sure I love TV also, cars and Skyping. BUT I am sort of bashing it's effect it has on my relationships. The choice to use it or abuse it. Fine line, that one. It's so handy and man, texting is where it's at and also where all hell can break loose.  I love a quick question and answer as opposed to all of the phone preludes involved with a call. I do like a great phone conversation though.. BUT have you ever texted someone and then got a reply where the punctuation or lack thereof leaves you wondering.."oh, man. are they mad??" "did I say something wrong".  OR maybe you didn't get a reply at all. Uggh! Reply time. That's another thing that can leave one wondering..."why no answer?" and if you are a super analyzer also known as a woman, you can get yourself into a tizzy or think yourself an outcast because you've texted the other person  a 5/5 text (which should be a phone conversation not a text!) and there is no reply. 


I guess we all kind of think others should drop what they are doing and pay attention to us when we barge into their daily lives via text or call. Sounds kind of like my baby. She yells or coughs to get attention. And if I don't respond ...well, you know what happens when you don't respond with kids.
 And some people do drop everything, even a face to face conversation to respond. Love it when others are saying "uh-huh" to you as they paw at their phones with glazed eyes. I'm guilty of this..

So. What's my point in all of this. The "rag on technology card" has been overplayed, I am well aware. What my smart phone, computer owning self is trying to say is this: use your time wisely. When you are with your family. Be all there. Facebook, on your phone, can wait. When you are folding laundry, close the computer and count your blessings instead. That 5 part text can wait. It was probably received all out of order anyway and you'll surely have to decode it. Use your technology to encourage, not creep. Facebook and phones, computers and tablets are all fun and very useful inventions. They aren't replacements for real conversations, real relationships or real creativity.  

I'm going to use the trump card here: 
“One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time.” 
― John Piper

:) Oh, John. You are correct yet again.

So, yes, I took the time to write this (while my daughter napped) but I think it needed to be written. I am writing to remind myself. To set it in stone in my brain.
I could be drastic and say that I am giving up my phone, closing my facebook account or never blogging again while Dahlia is awake but that would simply be for show on my part. And I'd probably creep using John's account or just hide all my blog posts. Sneaky me. But I won't do any of those things.
The Jist: Take the important calls, reply within a reasonable time to someone but all while being wise. 

As precious as time is especially now that I have a child, I should view it as such  no matter what. There are bigger chickens to fry (that sounds so good right now!) and large mountains to be moved by way of diligent prayerfulness.

Priorities. AGH! why are they so hard to get straight sometimes?
It's a challenge to be unreachable and see how God reaches me. I don't think he'll do it through a text message or on facebook..

Time. It was given to me for a purpose. And while I may not always get that purpose right, I can be mindful of it.

So Dahlia is stirring and my phone has dinged several times in the past few minutes...
Which to chose.
HA! Just kidding.

Or am I...

By the way. I really enjoy indoor plumbing too. I just remembered.








1 comment: