In efforts to become very aware (not obsessed) about what we are cleaning ourselves and our home with, I thought it would be semi-helpful-very helpful to some if I posted this.
I have loved getting to know the "natural" and organic way to clean my house. John and I have always tried to do what's best for our health and our environment to the best of our ability. It takes some extra work sometimes but usually, it's lots easier and cheaper!
Sometimes this means I have to forgo the favorite smells of clean I remember while growing up. However, the longer I clean "green" the more I realize those so called "clean" smells I remember are really quite toxic.
There are some very good options as far as both everyday and heavy duty cleaners. You don't have to go bleaching everything in site to clean. (That's a whole different post about how bleach really doesn't do what people think it does..)
Sacrificing health for a clean look or feeling isn't really worth it. It's worth it to be aware of what is actually in the products you use to clean. I won't get on a rant or a tangent about toxicity or how most people are poisoning their households with cleaners, soaps etc. I will just encourage you to know what you are using to clean. It doesn't take long to get informed. And while it may seem overhwelming at first, it's worth the education to help with quality of life and health, yes?
Most times a product just infects more than it disinfects for reals.
Some of my favorite brands now are:
Method, Seventh Generation, Melelueca, Mrs. Meyers.
So this brings me to a little recipe my mom used to use.
Ok it is notoriously smelly but it also is famous for working VERY WELL and are you aware of how stinking cheap it is?!?
Well, it's cheap.
I get my big 'ol bottles of vinegar for like $.75 each. Quite easy on the budget, if I do say so myself.
There are ways you can make it less smelly. Also, the smell dissipated after an hour or so in most cases. I use mine for cleaning windows. I use it in lieu of jet dry in my dishwasher, I also use it to mop floors if they need a good scrub.
I'd rather be sniffing vinegar which is quite harmless than be sniffing my favorite lavender scented potion of death.
Sorry, I said I would get on rants.
So let's educate
The Vinegar Institute (yes, there is an actual institute..) says this:
Vinegar can be made from any fruit, or from any material containing sugar.
it's made like so:
Vinegar is made by two distinct biological processes, both the result of the action of harmless microorganisms (yeast and “Acetobacter”) that turn sugars (carbohydrates) into acetic acid.
the first process is:
alcoholic fermentation and occurs when yeasts change natural sugars to alcohol
the second process:
acetic, or acid fermentation in which a group of bacteria (called “Acetobacter”) converts the alcohol portion to acid.
Safe, safe, safe. I wouldn't recomend drinking it though or leaving it out for your baby to play with on a regular basis..
And it will sting your nose a little but it's not going to do a lot of brain cell modification or harm if you sneak a sniff.
So, here are some easy uses for this super cleaner. Try a couple and see how they work. See how you save money and see how your house sparkles :)
1. General Cleaner and Disinfectant
2. Fabric Softener
3. Odor Remover
4. Stain Remover
5. Blemish Treatment
6. Drain Cleaner
7. Pots and Pans Cleaner
8. Weed Killer
IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE:
Like I said, it can be overwhelming but at least it spurs us on to change.
Happy and Healthy cleaning!!